Back Again


Well it's been quite a time. The feeling of euphoria I experienced after handing in my thesis was short-lived. A week later my Dad's health deteriorated rapidly and he passed away last Sunday at the age of 69. I've been back and forth to Christchurch over the past few weeks and I'm really thankful I got to spend some time with him before he died. Even though we knew the end was coming you can never prepare yourself for the finality of the actual event. I'll miss him hugely.

I haven't had much energy for arts and crafts lately, but Jack and I have put together a Pania Press Christmas gift edition book to give to family and friends. It's called The Argo & The Wahine and it includes five of Jack's recent poems and a short prose piece by me about Rita Angus's final letter to Douglas Lilburn. I've decorated the covers with wallpaper collages with a vaguely nautical design. The book is dedicated to Dad and I've pasted a vintage stamp on the dedication page at the back of each copy.





Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas. I'll be back in the New Year with a give-away from Pania Press and Mosehouse Studio.


Comments

Meliors Simms said…
I'm so sorry to hear about your father's passing. What a gift to have spent some time with him near the end. The book looks like a wonderful memorial to him.

Popular Posts