felt stacks



Something about this stack of felt off-cuts pleases me. There is potential here, but I'm not yet sure what it is. I've been reading about artist Geoff Thornley's abstract Constructions from the late 70s /early 80s, and I think his layered  shapes have filtered into my crafting brain.

 Geoff Thornley, Construction #5, 1980. oil on paper on board (1490 x 750).  Collection of the Artist.

Geoff Thornley, Construction Study, 1980. gouache on paper (150 x 120mm).  Collection of the Artist.



Geoff Thornley, Construction #E, 1982, oil on canvas on board (620 x 470mm). Collection of the Artist.



I quite like the idea of making small felt reliefs. Maybe they could be worn as brooches, or hung on the wall in small groups. I'll keep you posted on developments.

Note: The three Geoff Thornley images are sourced from the excellent catalogue Geoff Thornley Constructions: 1978-1982 published by the Gus Fisher Gallery, University of Auckland, 2007. If you are interested in buying a copy, the catalogue costs $10 and you can order it here.

Have a relaxing Sunday.


Comments

Popular Posts